What is Automated Testing?
Automated testing is the application of software tools to automate a human-driven manual process of reviewing and validating a software product. Most modern agile and DevOps software projects now include automated testing from inception.
An organization can apply automated tests to a broad range of cases, such as unit, API and regression testing. Automated software testing’s main benefit is that it simplifies as much of the manual effort as possible into a set of scripts. For example, if unit testing consumes a large percentage of a quality assurance (QA) team’s resources, then this process should be evaluated as a candidate for automation.
Why is automation needed?
Some teams simply don’t have the time or resources to be manually testing software. Automation can help with this. It can significantly reduce the time it takes to test products because it runs quickly and efficiently. This puts time back into the hands of developers and production managers, who can divert their efforts into other aspects of the project. It can greatly boost productivity as a result.
Using automation technology also means that testing can be done more frequently, improving overall functionality. Software development cycles call for repeated testing, often the same test over and over again. Automation testing makes this possible, without taking team members away from other work. It can also deliver more accurate and reliable results than manual testing alone. Further ensuring that the product is ready for market or to move onto the next stage of development. This validation gives the team a boost to continue developing.
Most importantly, automation benefits product development. That’s because when software, an app, or another product can be designed and produced more efficiently, it makes way for continuous development once it’s been launched. Essentially, the business will be able to work on more software and products, even with the same amount of team members, thanks to automation. Not only does this mean they perfect the final products they put out, but it also means they are creating new software all the time.
Benefits of automated testing
Automated testing can boost a QA team’s efficiency. Some benefits include:
- Higher accuracy
- Better reporting capabilities
- Increased coverage
- Enhanced resource efficiency
- Improved bug detection
- Increased reusability
Let’s take a look at the top in-demand automated testing tools for 2023:
- Selenium- a popular open-source web automation tool that can automate several operating systems, including Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux, as well as multiple browsers, including Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Headless Browsers. Selenium’s browser extension, Selenium IDE, provides record and playback capabilities.
- The most widely used open-source framework for automating mobile tests for native, hybrid, and mobile web apps is called Appium. Native, mobile web, and hybrid applications are all powered by the mobile JSON wire protocol, which is an extension of the Selenium JSON wire protocol.
- Protractor is a robust automation and behavior-driven testing (BDT) tool that combines potent technologies like Selenium, Jasmine, Web driver, etc. It is essential for testing AngularJS apps. Protractor creates automated regression testing for common Web Applications in addition to helping test AngularJS applications.
- Software that offers functional and regression test automation for software applications and environments is called Micro Focus Unified Functional Testing, formerly known as QuickTest Professional. UFT has a graphical user interface and supports scripting and keyword interfaces (GUI).
Honorable mentions include:
- Automation Anywhere
- Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
- Power Automate
- Informatica Data Validation Option
- Kinesis CI
Our Automated testing services allow software to be tested more efficiently, with the ability to compare expected and actual results, and provides broader coverage than manual testing. We create automated test scripts using the latest tools to help clients get to market faster without defects. These are the technologies we use in our automated testing solutions: Selenium Cucumber Robot Framework Mocha and Chai Loopback-API testing.
If you are looking for automated testing solutions feel free to reach out to our team at email@example.com or call us at (443) 440-5041